Sunday 20 January 2013

Cold noodle, anyone?

Among Asian cuisines, Korean food has always been my choice whenever we eat out. Other than the normal BBQ meat/seafood served along with a variety of small dishes called Banchan, I am also a huge fan of cold buckwheat noodles aka naengmyeon. It’s a very popular dish in Korea all year round especially in summertime. I love the texture of the chewy noodles and the icy cold broth is very refreshing.

Being Chinese, sadly the only home-cooked meal closest to Korean that I have is Ramyeon, which is the Korean instant noodles!

I am sure most of you who are instant noodles (better known as "MAGGIE MEE" in Malaysia) lovers would have tried these before.
Yea, my Ramen with prawns mussels and fishcakes. Kimchi by the side.

OK, enough of the oh-so-ordinary Instant ramen. Back to my NaengMyeon!

Last week after a Korean dinner at a regular joint with my family, we spotted a korean supermarket along the street and wondered around the mart. Everything in there was imported from Korea, from their canned and packet food, to even their fruits and vegetables! heng-bok-hae ^^

It was then, I realized, I can cook my favorite COLD NOODLE at home! I assumed it has been around all along?! but I have not really seen it in any Korean mart before. So yeap got a few packets and prepared one today!


Noodles and soup packed separately. RM10


No idea, but 'maggie mee' expert only need to see drawings and numbers. OKEH SET! I am ignoring the instructions and I will do it my way!


6 easy steps to a delicious NaengMyeon: 

STEP ONE: Placed the packet of soup in the freezer until you see some tangy iced broth formulated (around 30 mins)

STEP TWO: Slice some carrots into thin strips. Add a pinch of salt, 1 ts of sugar, and 1 ts of vinegar. Mix it up and and set it aside. (you can also add cucumbers or korean pears)

STEP THREE: Hard-boil an egg (I prefer runny yolk so I soak them in iced cold water when it's almost hard). Set it aside.

STEP FOUR: Boil the noodles in a pot with water (I did cut some beef cubes and throw em in together with the noodles). I tried the texture every 30 seconds because the noodles looked half cooked to me from the packet. I drained the noodles after 1 minute.

STEP FIVE: Soaked them in a bowl of iced cold water, and drained it again! It was all good! Beef cubes are cooked. Placed them in a serving bowl. (preferably aluminum bowl to preserve the cold temperature)


STEP SIX: Cut the packet of soup and pour it into the bowl of noodles. Add the carrots and egg on top!! Tah dah!! :) Ready to serve!! 


Served cold, texture of the noodle is chewy! May add some mustard and vinegar..It will taste even better!


My runny egg!! YUMMY!!!



And finally, an INSTANT hot Korean coffee to complete the meal! Happy lunch!

Shin Sun Mi Korean Mart
Jalan Ampang Putra 6,
Taman Putra Sulaiman,
68000 Ampang
Tel: 03-4256 8989 

xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment